Collage Banner

Collage Banner

Monday, March 25, 2013

A Little Less Waste

In my mission to make my kitchen and cooking more green, I've decided it's time to invest in some composting supplies.  First of all, composting is great because you can turn would-be waste into good nutrition for your gardens and flower beds.  Secondly, there are so many options when it comes to composting equipment that there's truly something for everybody and every kitchen.  Here's what I picked up this weekend:

It looks a little like a fire hydrant, I know, but it's great for holding a couple of days worth of compostable food scraps and coffee grounds so we don't need to run out to the backyard three times a day to add to the big composter.  It's also small enough to put under the sink or nice enough to leave out (if we actually had any extra space on our counters).  Now, speaking of the big composter, I also invested in a large outdoor tumbler composting unit.  We haven't put it together yet, but I guess we should hurry up and do that.  I'll report back on how that's working out.  I'm still new to this whole process, but I've found that, as with many things in life, adopting healthier, more environmentally friendly habits are learning experiences.  Sometimes it's intimidating at first or it seems like too big of a change, but then after awhile, you find yourself wondering how you ever did things any other way.  

No comments:

Post a Comment