Collage Banner

Collage Banner

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Local Find of the Week: Mu Mu Muesli and Wake Robin Yogurt


A delicious creation for breakfast, pre- or post-workout, or a mid-afternoon snack!

Muesli (MYOOs-lee): a breakfast cereal made from raw or toasted cereal grains, dried fruits, nuts, and dried milk solids and usually eaten with milk or yogurt; sometimes known as granola*

When on my search for local ingredients this week, I stumbled upon two items from Upstate New York that make a delicious pair.  Mu Mu Muesli, made in Sharon Springs, NY, is a great mix of raw oats, dried raisins and figs, almonds, and a little bit of coconut.  I wouldn't compare it to granola as my view of granola is a bit more crunchy, but perhaps a hybrid of oatmeal and trail mix.  I followed the serving suggestion on the package of muesli, which called for 1/4 cup of milk and 1/2 cup of yogurt.  The yogurt I used was another local gem from Wake Robin Farms, located in Jordan, NY.  If you're not familiar with these two towns, they're similar in that if you blink, you might miss them.  Sharon Springs is located east of Utica near Canajoharie while Jordan is located approximately 20 minutes west of Syracuse.  I realized that I had seen both of the products produced in these towns many times before, as they're attractive packaging had caught my eye at both the grocery store and farmer's market.  Little did I know, however, that they're origins lie so close to home.

Here are the makings of my Mu Mu Muesli, you can't get much more simple than this:
Start with 1 cup Mu Mu Muesli (or a combination of your own similar ingredients)

Add 1/4 cup skim milk and 1/2 cup yogurt

Add some grated apple or fresh berries, I used a Cortland apple from the farmer's market, which was a little sweet.  I think a more tart apple like a granny smith or tart berries (as the MuMu makers suggest) would be delicious.

* From On Cooking 4th ed. by Alan M. Hause and Sarah R. Labensky.  Pearson Prentice Hall 2007.

No comments:

Post a Comment