Collage Banner

Collage Banner

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Welcome to KJ's Green Kitchen

          Thanks for visiting KJ's Green Kitchen!  I've started this blog to share my journey in making my life and my family's life a little healthier and a little more "green" through food.  I love pretty much everything about food, cooking it, eating it, and sharing it with the people I love.  I am currently studying to become a Registered Dietitian so I can help others enjoy food in a way that helps them to lead a healthier life.
          I live in Syracuse, NY, which for those of you who have never been here, has more to offer than just a frozen, tundra-like atmosphere.  In addition to being one of the snowiest cities in the US, we have a large number of green initiatives in our city including a huge push for eating locally and encouraging other means of sustainable eating.  Our Regional Market is a fantastic resource for those who want to eat fresh, locally grown food and support our area farmers.  It's open all year round and even in the winter offers a wide variety of wonderfully delicious fruits, vegetables, seafood, and meats. Going to the market every Saturday morning with my husband, Ryan, and our daughter, Addison, is one of the highlights of my weekend.  We gather all of the fresh, in season foods we can and head home for a weekend full of experimenting with new recipes, or old favorites, and making lots and lots of baby food for Addison.  Knowing that I'm feeding my family the freshest food I can while also supporting our local food system gives me a pretty good feeling.
          In my journey toward greener, healthier living I will be sharing my experiences in local food shopping, both at farmer's markets and local food co-ops, and the recipes I create with my findings.  I look forward to sharing my experiences in this blog and hopefully I will be able to inspire others to explore local foods as well.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment