Collage Banner

Collage Banner

Saturday, July 27, 2013

Making a Favorite Food Blog Local

If your a food lover and a blog lover, then chances are that you've heard of Smitten Kitchen.  This food blog is not only inspirational as the author serves up wonderfully creative dishes and equally amazing photography.  Add in her humor and wit and this blog is not only entertaining, but also gives you great ideas for dinner (which is really what we all want in a food blog, right?)  Anyway, I've been a longtime fan of hers and one reason is because she offers her recipes categorized by season.  That way it makes it very easy to find a recipe and make it "local" with ingredients from your garden or local farmer's market.  This week I found a recipe on her blog that met all of my needs for a weeknight meal as it was a "one pot meal" making for hardly any clean-up and it was super easy.  I was also able to make it using almost exclusively local ingredients.  Here's the link to the recipe, but make sure you take some time to look around the rest of the blog as I'm sure you'll love it as much as I do!

One Pot Farro with Tomatoes from Smitten Kitchen

Here are some photos of my version...

Tomatoes from a favorite local farm

Any recipe that involves combining everything together in only one pot is definitely alright with me! (And probably my husband since he's usually on dish duty)

As for the other local ingredients, the onions came from the farmer's market, garlic from a friend's garden, and basil from our garden.  That left only the farro and cheese to be purchased at the grocery store...not too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment