Collage Banner

Collage Banner

Monday, April 2, 2012

Vegetarian Lentil Chili



Chili is one of my favorite meals because you can combine so many different vegetables to really take advantage of what you have in stock or what you can find in abundance at the market.  I loosely adapted this recipe from one that I found on another food blog (which I love) called "Two peas and their pod."  Their recipe used quinoa, which was really good, but I decided to use lentils instead since I was already making them for Addison's meal.  I had already been to the Farmer's Market for the week, so I just decided to throw in a sampling of my findings from the market.  I used red peppers, jalepenos, onions, garlic, and zucchini.  The original recipe also calls for celery and carrots, which I would highly recommend, I just didn't happen to have any on hand.  Here is my recipe for a great vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, hearty chili for any chilly Sunday afternoon (and it's great for leftovers, so for any weeknight as well!)

Vegetarian Lentil Chili

4 cups cooked green lentils 
1 cup cooked black beans
1 medium onion
2 small jalepenos (depending on your spice preference, use more or less)
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 large zucchini, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 28 oz. can of diced tomatoes
1 28 oz. can of tomato sauce
3 tbsp of chili powder
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp olive oil

The Farmer's Market Finds

Sneaking a peek!

Mmmm...enjoy!


In a large stock pot, heat olive oil and add onion.  Cook onion until tender, about 5 minutes.  Add in garlic, peppers, and zucchini and cook until tender, another 5 minutes.  Add in black beans, lentils, diced tomatoes, and tomato sauce.  Stir in chili powder and cumin.  Place the lid on the pot, turn the heat down to low and let simmer for at least a half hour.  Top with green onions, pick up some artisan bread from your favorite local bakery and enjoy some good healthy comfort food!

No comments:

Post a Comment